The Burtons

The Burtons

Saturday, December 7, 2013

And we're off!


Our China adventure began on Sunday Dec 1st, 2013.  We flew from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles on the 6am flight.  We had stayed at the A-Loft hotel in Cascade Station by the airport so that we would be close. 

We had 16 total bags, 2 car seats, 2 kids and 2 adults - it was quite a load to say the least!  Luckily the hotel had a shuttle.  We left for the airport at 4:30am.  When we go the airport we lucked out and were able to do the curbside check-in.  Another blessing was that our 8 big bags checked all the way through to Hong Kong, so we'd only have our carry-ons for the day in LA. The boys were just waking up, but were excited.  This time they weren't just dropping daddy off, but they got to go too.



The boys were great through the TSA line and loved the moving walkway.  We ended up checking 3 of our 8 carry ons (yes 8) because the plane was full.  The flight was pretty easy.  Kenney slept the whole way and Cole took enjoyed talking about flying.



We arrived in LA around 9am, but took about an hour to get out of the airport.  We had to go to baggage claim to get our carry-ons we had checked. We then had to pick up a rental car. The first car we got had some loud feedback coming out of the speaker. Fortunately the noise was immediate so we didn't drive off before noticing. We did take advantage of the extra space before we changed from an SUV to a sudan and changed the kids into their clothes for the day. 

We then drove down to Las Flores and went to church.  It was great to see our old friends. Because it was the end of the year I even got to do my tithing settlement.  Always good to be square with the Lord!

Cole recognized where we were and asked to go to his house. We hadn't been there in 3 months so I was impressed he remembered.  We ate lunch in San Juan Capistrano at Stan's favorite local mexican restaurant - Ricardo's Place.  My cousin Michele came by to see us there.  After lunch we went to our old street and visited with our neighbors. Cole was convinced he should be able to go in his house  - poor lil guy.  We were told the renters were out of town so I let Cole go to the door and peer in to see that it wasn't our stuff in there anymore. That seemed to satisfy him. After that we swung the boys by Startlight Ridge park, visited the Smallwood's and had dinner with the Rich Family.

Cole at Starlight Ridge Park
Lunch at Ricardo's Place


Goodbye hug - Cole and Soren Rich
 
By 6:30pm we were back on our way to LAX for our flight to Hong Kong.  We made great time and were able to spend some time in the Cathay Pacific Lounge before boarding.  Stan has flown so much this year that he has gold status and could get us all in.  The lounge was very nice. They had a buffet line with hot and cold food, drinks, 15 Mac computers, showers, tvs etc.  We were able to get changed into our comfy flight clothes and have some snacks.
Rolling through TSA
Hanging in the Cathay Pacific Lounge



Mid-flight movie viewing
Ready for takeoff!

The flight went great.  We were in the Economy Plus section so the seats were nice and roomy.  We got to sit all together in the middle section and had a bathroom just a couple rows away.  I gave the boys some Benadryl right before take off and they slept the first 9 of the 15 hour flight.  This gave us time to rest too.



When we landed Stan and I worked like a well oiled machine to get off the plane and through immigration. Stan had wisely arranged for porters to help us with our bags.  A driver awaited us as well and we were on our way! 





A few thoughts:

It was great to finally be on our way to our new life, but bittersweet in many ways.  The boys and I had a really great time in Corvallis over the last three months.  It was a wonderful treat to live with Dad and Ler - the boys really got to know their extended family and love them. We got to see all our immediate family over the past 4 months.   It will be nice to Face Time and have the boys really know who they are talking to. They will recognize them and be excited from their hearts, not just because Stan and I tell them they should be important to them. I believe this time has been critical for that.

At the same time it will be so nice to live as a family again. We have all missed Stan tremendously. The boys are so happy to have their dad back. I'm pretty stoked too : ).

I am curious to know what returning to China will feel like.  One fear is that returning would stir up sad emotions around my mom's passing 5 years ago.  Right before we moved back home from Guangzhou, China she had come to visit us  - our last great adventure.  I hope that I can start fresh and that being in a different city in China will avoid that heartache.

Even though we have lived abroad before we didn't have kids.  My greatest fear - keeping my children safe, not because China is unsafe, but more because they are little, fast and not great listeners yet.  I'll have to be on my toes. I'm so excited though for them to have the exposure to a different way of life and take in all that expat life has to offer.




3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this blog! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I feel connected, now. Keep up the good work Cherie! Hugs and love, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the greatest gifts I think we have given our boys is living abroad. They will be safe...it really is no different here than back home in the US...just a little more challenging to navigate sometimes. Can't wait to see you and meet your little guys!

    ReplyDelete